Yes! Finally, the time has come to discuss a topic I have eagerly awaited to write about. Dreams and aspirations propel us forward, and it is well-known that even a small dose of encouragement can make a significant difference in our lives. Without further ado, here’s my take on the matter and some valuable tips to get you started on achieving your wildest dreams!
As a child, I used to have a recurring nightmare where I found myself lost in a forest surrounded by an abundance of tree roots that made it difficult to move forward. It was dark and cold. This persisted for quite some time. In the heart of the woods, there lay a meadow filled with beautiful red flowers and a stunning sea view, complete with a picturesque horizon and sunset. Yesterday, I picked up my watercolours to capture a scene that had eluded me for so long. I yearned to visit it but never had the chance to do so. It had been a while since I had experienced that unsettling dream.
When we dream, we tap into the power of our unconscious mind. Our dreams reflect our deepest desires and fears, and they can provide us with valuable insights into our inner world. However, the unconscious mind can also be a source of confusion and anxiety, as it can produce strange, surreal, and even terrifying dreams.
The Unconscious Mind
The unconscious mind is thought to be a reservoir of feelings, thoughts, and memories that are inaccessible to our conscious awareness. It includes processes that happen automatically, such as breathing and daily habits, as well as mental processes we are unaware of, like hidden desires and fears.
Various techniques, such as meditation, hypnosis, and dream analysis, can be used to access and explore the unconscious mind. These techniques can help individuals uncover hidden thoughts, feelings, and memories that may influence their behaviour and emotions.
Tips on how to reach our unconscious mind and memorable dreams:
- Quality Sleep: Getting enough restful sleep is essential for vivid dreaming. Aim for at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night to allow your brain to go through the different stages of sleep, including the REM stage, where most of our dreaming occurs.
- Relaxation Techniques: Relaxation techniques such as meditation or deep breathing exercises before bed can help calm the mind and increase the likelihood of vivid dreaming.
- Dream Journaling: Keeping a dream journal and writing down any dream you remember upon waking can help train the brain to remember dreams better and may lead to more vivid and frequent dreams.
- Diet: What you eat and drink before bed can also affect your dreams. For example, consuming caffeine or spicy foods close to bedtime can interfere with sleep and reduce the likelihood of dreaming. On the other hand, consuming foods rich in vitamin B6, such as bananas and walnuts, can help promote dreaming.
- Avoiding Stimulants: Avoiding caffeine or alcohol before bed can also help with vivid dreaming. These substances can disrupt sleep and reduce the likelihood of reaching the REM stage, where most of our dreaming occurs.
Tips and strategies for designing your dream life and making it a reality
Let’s talk about our aspirations! We all have them, whether it’s achieving our dream career or owning a fancy cottage by the sea. Have you ever had a dream that was so exciting it made you bounce out of bed with enthusiasm? The kind of dream that makes your heart sing and your mind race with possibilities?
Our aspirations are what give our lives meaning and purpose, but let’s face it, sometimes our aspirations can be as elusive as Bigfoot. It is essential to prioritize your thoughts and desires rather than solely relying on the opinions of those closest to you. While those closest to you may have your best interests at heart, they may also try to keep you grounded in reality. For instance, if you aspire to become a successful singer-songwriter, they might discourage you from pursuing it due to the challenges and hard work it entails. However, like any dream worth pursuing, achieving it requires perseverance and dedication.
There are a variety of helpful resources that can aid in the process of exploring one’s career aspirations. Career tools, such as the Myers Briggs 16 Personalities Test, Strenght Test, and vision boards, can provide valuable insights into one’s interests, aspirations, and strengths.
What is a Vision Board?
Sometimes it can be hard to keep that dream in focus. Life gets in the way, doubts creep in, and before we know it, we’ve lost sight of our passion. That’s where visual boards come in. I got introduced to Vision Board a couple of years ago. My colleague recently graduated as a life coach and hosted a vision board event for a few women, and I was fortunate enough to attend. We constructed a vision board by cutting parts from magazines. I recently created a new vision board, and although my core aspirations remain the same, they have gained more perspective and depth.
A visual or dream board is a powerful tool for turning your dreams into reality. It’s a physical representation of your aspirations, made up of images, words, and symbols that inspire and motivate you. When you create a visual board, you give your dream a tangible form and remind yourself of what you’re working towards.
So how do you create a visual board? It’s easy! Start by gathering images that represent your dream. These can be pictures from magazines, quotes, photos of people who inspire you, or anything else that resonates with your vision. Arrange them on a board, and place it somewhere you’ll see it every day. The more you look at it, the more it will inspire you to keep working towards your goals. I made my new Vision Board with Canva.
It has been approximately three years since I created my previous vision board, and since then, I have recently constructed a new one.
But a visual board is only the first step. To truly make your dreams a reality, you need to take action. Use your vision board as a guide, and take small daily steps towards your goal. Whether learning a new skill, making a phone call, or taking a risk, every action brings you closer to your dream.
And don’t forget to celebrate your progress along the way! When you reach a milestone, treat yourself to something special, and pat yourself. Celebrating your success will give you the energy and motivation to pursue your dream.
Ultimately, the most important thing is never giving up on your dream. It may take time, and there will be setbacks, but if you keep working towards it, you will achieve it. So go ahead, dream big, and create a visual board to remind yourself what you’re working towards!
Five tips that can help you dream big:
- Set aside dedicated time for reflection and introspection: Reflecting on your goals and aspirations can help you identify what you truly want to achieve. This may involve journaling, meditation, or walking in nature to clear your mind.
- Surround yourself with positive influences: The people we spend time with can significantly impact our mindset and attitude towards life. Surrounding yourself with people who uplift and inspire you can help to fuel your dreams and keep you motivated.
- Seek new experiences and challenges: Trying new things can expand your perspective and help you discover new passions and interests. It can also give you the courage to pursue your dreams by pushing you outside your comfort zone.
- Create a vision board: A vision board is a visual representation of your goals and dreams. It can include images, quotes, and affirmations that inspire and motivate you. Seeing your dreams and aspirations displayed tangibly can help to keep you focused and motivated.
- Set achievable goals and take action: Dreaming big can feel overwhelming, but breaking down your goals into smaller, achievable steps can make them more manageable. Take action towards your goals each day, no matter how small the step may be. Celebrate your progress and use each achievement as motivation to keep going.
Remember, everyone’s journey towards their dreams is unique. These tips are simply a starting point to help you on your path towards achieving your own goals and aspirations.
Tasks: Construct a Vision Board & Bucket List for yourself
Please share your thoughts in the comments, as I would love to see what you come up with! And while you’re at it, feel free to listen to my Writer’s Inspiration Playlist on Spotify for April.
A bucket list? A bucket list is a list of things a person wants to do or experience before they die or “kick the bucket.” It usually includes activities, places, or achievements considered important or meaningful to the individual. Bucket lists can be personal, such as learning a new language or travelling to a specific country, or they can be more adventurous, such as skydiving or bungee jumping. The concept of a bucket list is often used to motivate oneself to try new things, live life to the fullest, and pursue goals and dreams.
I made a simple Bucket List that you can download and print here.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― The Alchemist
Until next time,
Be kind & don’t go changing,